Thermal Physics - Diatomic Molecule

In a gas of N diatomic molecules, two possible models for a classical description of a diatomic molecule are:



Which of the following statements about this gas is true?

A. Model I has a specific heat cv = ³⁄₂Nk
B. Model II has a smaller specific heat than Model I
C. Model I is always correct
D. Model II is always correct
E. The choice between Models I and II depends on the temperature
(GR8677 #87)
Solution:

Equipartition of Energy: E = ½ fNkT
Specific heat: cv = ∂E/∂t = ½ fNk
f = Degree of Freedom (DoF)

(A) FALSE
Model I is diatomic molecules in low temperature
→ 5 DoF (3 translational + 2 rotational)
cv = ⁵⁄₂Nk

(B) FALSE
Model II is diatomic molecules in high temperature
→ 7 DoF (3 translational + 2 rotational + 2 vibrational)
cv = ⁷⁄₂Nk

(C) and (D) are vague answers.

Answer: E

No comments :